How to Secure Your Student Visa in Canada in 2019
The process of applying for a student visa in Canada starts with receiving the admission offer from a Canadian university. International students must have a study permit to study in their designated learning institution (DLI) and a student visa for them to live in Canada. Starting January 2019, students are required to submit their biometrics together with their visa application when applying for the study permit or the temporary resident visa.
Ready your documents
To apply for the study permit, you will be required to provide the following documents:
- Copy of the acceptance letter from a DLI
- Proof of tuition fee payment for the last year
- Copy of confirmation of medical examination
- Proof of GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate) of $10,000
- Proof of taking a language test with a score of more than 6 for English or 7 for French in Niveaux de competence linguisque canadiens.
You can submit your application on paper or online. The fee for visa application is CAD 150.
Before you start searching for apartments near York University, you need to check your eligibility. The requirements include:
- Be enrolled at a DLI
- Have enough finances to cover living expenses, tuition, and a return trip to your native country after completing the program.
- Have no criminal record
- Complete a medical examination to verify you are in good health
- Convince the immigration officer you will go back to your native county after completing the education program.
You may also need to provide an explanation letter that supports your application. The letter should contain details about your career goals, the reason for selecting the education program, how you will cope with the program and why you decided to study in Canada.
Submit your application
You can either apply online or apply on paper. To apply online you need to setup an account on the Government of Canada website. You will need electronic copies of the required documents and your credit card to pay the application fee.
When applying on paper, you need to first read the instruction guide on the Government of Canada’s website. The application should be sent to the center that processes applications from your area. Incomplete applications are sent back without processing.
Wait for the visa to be processed
Several factors determine the duration it takes to process your visa application. The average wait time for an Indian student visa is roughly 5 weeks.
The SDS (Student Direct Stream) is the application process for study permits. It guarantees faster processing within 45 days. SDS is for students with strong French or English language skills. For this you will need:
- Letter of admission from a DLI
- Demonstrate your English or French knowledge levels
- Provide your medical exam results
- Prove you have sufficient finances to cover your education and living expenses
Get your GIC
The Guaranteed Investment Certificate is required when submitting an application for a study permit. It costs $10,000 from ICICI Bank Canada or Scotiabank.
You have to get a medical exam from a physician listed on the Government website. This happens about a month after submitting the application for the student visa. You must provide the following during the exam:
- Your ID (passport, national identity card or driver’s license)
- Contact lenses or spectacles if you wear either
- Test results from existing or previous medical conditions
- Medical Report Form (IMM 1017E) which is sent by the visa office
After the medical exam is completed, the results are sent to the Canadian embassy directly.
Apartments near York University
Contact QUAD student housing to get apartments near York university.