Personal Security Tips For Students
As a college student, the endless night adventures and thrills can be fun and dangerous as well. It is crucial to be constantly aware of your security and take every measure to safeguard it, although most apartments near York University will provide security measures such as security lights, security guards and patrols, personal security is still largely your responsibility. The following are some of the things you can do to enhance your personal security when in college.
- Stay alert and use your intuition: In case you feel your environment is unsafe or uncomfortable, then take the step to leave immediately. If the party starts getting too rowdy, do not worry about not seeming cool among your college friends, your security is more important.
- Avoid flaunting expensive personal belongings even to the people you consider as friends. Taking care of personal belongings is extremely important especially when living in shared apartments. Avoid leaving phones, laptops, jewelry and other expensive items all over the place. You should keep your items neatly stored away and your room locked whenever you are away if you share an apartment with other students. You can avoid losing many important items if you do not make them so tempting to take for those who are around you.
- Avoid walking alone especially after dark: Sometimes you may be caught up working on an assignment in the library late into the night. You should call up a friend or look for a group of housing on York University campus. Walking alone in the dark makes you a vulnerable target for any offenders who may be lurking in or around your campus. Patrol vehicles make regular rounds but there may be a gap when they are far away from your path back to your apartment.
- Report any harassment to security: In case you experience any kind of harassment, you should take advantage of the presence of security around York University housing. Alert them of any offending phone calls or emails that you may be receiving. They have the professional experience to advise on whether this is a real security threat and what you can do to stay safe.
- In case you are unlucky enough to be caught up in a robbery, cooperate with them. Material possessions can be replaced but your life cannot. You should also consider things like mobile devices can be traced and the perpetrators will be arrested eventually. Avoid making any moves that can agitate the robber, if you are in the situation, just wait until they are gone to call for help.
- In case of any physical attack, you need to dial 911 immediately. If you can, find a safe place to stay as you wait for the authorities to get involved. Such experiences can be extremely traumatizing beside the physical pain and you should consider getting psychological help as well.